Rhubarb crisp might be the easiest most delicious dessert there is. I say dessert, but I love having it for breakfast with yogurt.
There are almost 3 million rhubarb crisp recipes on the internet, the ones I looked at are almost all identical. Most include strawberries or apple. I like all rhubarb. You can add different fruit if you like and adjust the weight of the fruit the recipe calls for.
Let’s make a crisp! Gather all your ingredients
For the filling you’ll need;
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of rhubarb (optional addition of strawberries or apples to total 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of fruit)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping you’ll need;
- 3/4 cup flour, any kind. I used whole wheat. You can use gluten free or all purpose or anything you have on hand.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons of butter cut very small
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup any nuts you like (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350F
Put all the filling ingredients in a bowl and mix and put all the topping ingredients in a separate bowl and mix with a pastry cutter or just use your hands. This picture is before I mixed the topping ingredients.
I had an 8X8 square pan and this fit just fine. You might want to put your baking pan on a cookie sheet if you think it might bubble over.
Put your filling in a baking dish then top with the oat mixture that is really well mixed. It should look like this.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until it’s brown and bubbly.