(liberally adapted from several different recipes online)
- 2 to 3 cups chopped vegetables of any kind
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped herbs (I used rosemary and sage)
- 8 eggs
- 1 handful basil, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups flour (I used white whole wheat, but you can use gluten free or all purpose, any kind really. There are so many eggs in this that it is a forgiving recipe in regards to flour.)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 to 2 cups grated cheese (I used parmesan but any kind of cheese you have would work.)
- Salt and black pepper to taste, depending on the cheese you use. (Some cheese is pretty salty, so be careful here.)
- Butter or Pam spray, for greasing pan
- Sesame seeds, for dusting baking pan
I sautéed my vegetables but you could cook yours however you like. They just need to be cooked and cool before you mix them into the cake batter.
Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a 9-inch pan. I sprinkled sesame seeds in my greased pan for crunch and interest. You don’t have to do that, but it’s nice if you do.
Mix the wet ingredients and the dry separately, then mix them together like you would a quick bread or muffin batter. Then fold in the cooled vegetables and the cheese. Put the batter into the prepared pan. I like to put a few onions on top of the batter. Again, you don’t have to do that or you could put a different vegetable on top.
This is what it looks like when it is done. Try this with whatever you have on hand.