There probably isn’t an easier salad recipe to toss together than shaving some zucchini and maybe one or two other herbs or vegetables, maybe a melon? I like to use a vegetable peeler to shave the zucchini thin like noodles then dress it with vinegar or lemon and olive oil and topping it with some hard cheese and maybe some nuts or seeds.
I could eat this every day.
Zucchini Melon Salad
- 2 medium zucchini cut thin or shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 1 cup fresh herbs I used mint and basil-sorrel is wonderful here
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- 1 small, sweet melon, halved, seeded and thinly sliced into half-moons, then skins removed
- a handful of nuts or seeds
- Shaved hard cheese like parmesan or Manchego (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
Toss the shaved zucchini, herbs, oil, nuts and vinegar or lemon juice and salt and pepper in a bowl, separate the zucchini ribbons and make sure they get some dressing on both sides of the ribbons and get the nuts and herbs in there too.
Layer the zucchini mix on a plater with the slices of melons in a couple of layers.
Taste it to see if it needs more salt or vinegar or lemon or oil and top it with a few more nuts and herbs and cheese. I like to eat this zucchini salad, actually I like to eat most salads with chopsticks. I find it easier to include different salad components in each bite.
Think outside the box. You don’t need lettuce to make a delicious salad!
Have a great week. I’ll see you at pickup.