The Grow Crew Manager is responsible for overseeing all aspects of non-harvest fieldwork.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Develop and maintain a good working relationship with Wyatt (farm owner), Harvest Manager, and Javier
- Frequently communicate with Wyatt, harvest manager, and Javier
- Responsible for all aspects of irrigation including set up, anticipating appropriate irrigation schedules, and communicating needs for irrigation parts to Wyatt.
- Manage and coordinate crop trails
- Prepare and supervise manual cultivation of all crops
- Train farm crew on the use of tools and efficient techniques to be fast in the field
- Oversee row covering and planting
- Communicate with tractor driver about what tasks need to be accomplished
- Oversee and schedule maintenance of all vehicles and tools
- Run and supervise grow crew
- Maintain efficiency, speed and quality of grow crew’s work
- Operate tractor and trucks
- Help harvest crew when needed
- Maintain and enforce policies and procedures
- Maintain a safe work environment
- Work 60+ hours/week
Qualities required for the Grow Crew Manager:
- Excellent communicator
- Ability to speak Spanish (preferred)
- Good problem solving skills
- Ability to diagnose mechanical problems
- Excellent observation skills/attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize endless to do list
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to be flexible
- Ability to work with many personality types
- Two years of farm experience
- Working cell phone
For an in depth description of jobs at Red Wagon Organic Farm please read our Basic Job Description before applying.
If you’re interested in working at Red Wagon, please respond by e-mail with the information requested below. We are looking for people who are thorough and follow directions. Please keep this in mind when responding.
- Phone # (preferably a cell phone number)
- Please attach your resume if you have one.
- Availability (dates, days, times)
- Past job experience including any agricultural experience
- Position(s) you are interested in
- We recommend that you live within 30 minutes of the farm. Do you live within 30 minutes of the farm? If not, what are your relocation plans? (Do you have a place to live? Do you have the finances to relocate?)
- Why do you want to work at Red Wagon?
- After reading the job description, what makes you think you would be a good fit at Red Wagon? What do you think you would contribute to our farm?
- What is your past management experience?
- What are your goals in agriculture?
- Will you be able to commit to the entire farm season? We need people who can stay until the end of the season. Unfortunately we cannot hire people who need to leave or cut back on hours in August or September due to school or other commitments.
- Can you work long, hard hours and still have a good attitude?
- Are you able to work outside in all weather conditions?
- Do you have anything we should know about that would prevent you from doing physical work? Are you able to lift 50 pounds?
- Do you have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record? If not please explain. We have numerous farm vehicles that some of our employees need to be able to operate.
- Do you have reliable transportation?
We need workers with their own reliable vehicles due to the demands of the job. Our farms are 15 minutes east and 20 minutes north of downtown Boulder. The farms are about 20 minutes away from each other and you may have to drive from one farm to the other during the day. Also, you cannot plan to carpool with other employees because work schedules often vary.
- Please provide three professional references with a description of your relationship with the people you list.
- Tell us anything else you care to share about yourself.
Send all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pay rate: $12 – $13/hour based on experience.
Thanks for your interest in Red Wagon Organic Farm!