Pay rate: $19-20/hour based on experience.
Be a part of one of the best CSAs in Boulder County! The CSA Manager is the face of Red Wagon Farm for our CSA members. Our CSA members’ experience at CSA pickups is in large part their experience with our farm. We are looking for someone who is friendly, organized, and has the ability to work under pressure. Preference will be given to candidates who may be available for more than one season due to the amount of training and responsibility required for this role.
You must be available to start working by sometime in April or the beginning of May. Our CSA pickups start in mid-May and go through late October. You must be able to work the entire season.
During the day you will work at our location at 1640 W Baseline Rd, Lafayette (Thomas Open Space Farm). In the afternoons you will drive to one of our CSA pickup locations which are located at 3 different locations throughout Boulder. You will then return to our Lafayette location after the CSA pickups to unload the remaining produce off the truck as well as do some administrative work.
This role requires 45 to 50 hours per week. We will likely not be able to accommodate days off during the CSA season.
Mondays 8 am to 4 pm. You will work in our farm wash area to start preparing and packing CSA shares for the week. You will also do all the administrative work needed at the beginning of the week. There is not a CSA pickup on Monday.
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays 8 am to 8 pm. (It’s possible that you might work a little past 8 pm if the post-CSA work takes longer than usual.) You will start the day with about an hour of administrative work. You will then work in our farm wash area in the morning to prepare for CSA pickups. You will then drive to the CSA pickups in the afternoon/evening. After the CSA pickup you will drive back to the farm, unload the remaining produce and do some administrative work.
Fridays 8 am to 12 or 1 pm. You will mostly be doing administrative work on Fridays to prepare for the following week.
Job duties include:
- You must adhere to our very high quality standards for produce from harvest through distribution to CSA members.
- In the morning you will collaborate with several other team leaders to direct staff in the wash area. This involves preparing the produce, making sure we get the correct quantities prepared and packed, and loading the delivery truck in an organized manner.
- In the afternoon/evening you will manage and attend the CSA pickups which are in various locations around Boulder.
- You will supervise and manage all CSA staff. You will create a schedule for staff working at CSA pickups.
- You will be responsible for all CSA logistics such as collaborating with the harvest manager to create daily and weekly harvest lists and organizing all CSA paperwork.
- You must be comfortable working in MS Excel as well as have the ability to use our CSA Management system and employee scheduling program.
- You will answer CSA member emails and phone calls on a daily basis. You will also communicate with CSA members via blog posts and social media.
- You will drive the delivery truck to and from CSA pickups. You will need to perform a daily safety check on the delivery truck (check oil, engine fluids, and tire pressure).
- You will order items for the CSA from other farms (fruit, mushrooms, and coffee).
- You will assist with planning and implementing of several farm tours and an end-of-season party for CSA members.
Qualities and abilities required for the CSA Manager:
- Great attitude
- You must be able to provide and project a calm demeanor during stressful times. The rest of the crew counts on having a calm leader.
- Excellent communication. You will call other team members multiple times each day. We are spread out in a lot of different areas and there is a lot of detail to communicate each day.
- Organized, responsible, and conscientious
- Ability to work long hours (12 hour days)
- Ability to take detailed instructions and follow directions
- Ability to take responsibility for mistakes and work with the team to try to avoid the mistake in the future
- Ability to communicate with CSA members clearly via email
- Proficiency with Windows-based computer (Excel, email, blog, CSA management system)
- Good problem-solving skills
- You must be able to handle last-minute changes. The daily harvest is unpredictable due to the nature of working with plants and weather. You will often have to make changes in the middle of the day as to the list of crops you are bringing to the CSA pickup later that afternoon.
- Ability to work with many personality types
- Outgoing and friendly personality with ability to talk with many CSA members at pickups
- Ability to work in all weather conditions (heat, cold, wind, rain, snow)
- Ability to lift 50 pounds multiple times each day. You will be loading and unloading a lot of heavy bins and coolers from the delivery truck.
- Clean driving record and ability to drive delivery truck (or willingness to learn)
For an in depth description of jobs at Red Wagon Organic Farm please read our Basic Job Description before applying.
Click here to go to our application.